Education and degrees awarded
- Doctor of Social Sciences, Sociology / Social Anthropology, University of Tampere, 2007.
- Teaching degree in adult education, The Teacher Education Centre at TAMK University of Applied Sciences, 1999.
- Master’s in Social Sciences (MScs, Sociology), University of Tampere, 1994.
- Senior lecturer (yliopistonlehtori), Faculty of Social Sciences, Tampere University (since Sepember 2021); Adjunct professor of Social Anthropology (since 2013)
Affiliations with other universities
External Affiliate, Sarah Parker Remond Centre for the Study of Racism and Racialisation, Institute of Advanced Studies, University College London, 2020.
Adjunct professor of European Ethnology, Faculty of Humanities, University of Helsinki, 2018.
Previous professional appointments at Tampere University
- Academy Research Fellow, Faculty of Social Sciences, Tampere University (TAU), 1.8.2015 -31.8. 2020 of which as a visiting scholar at the University of Amsterdam, Department of Anthropology one month in 2017, and two months at the University of California, Davis, Department of African and African American Studies in 2018.
- Senior Research Fellow, Institute for Advanced Social Research, University of Tampere (UTA), 12 months, 2014 – 2015.
- Professor of Social Anthropology (fixed term), UTA, School of Social Sciences and Humanities, 24 months, 2012 – 2014.
- Research Fellow, Fluid World Research Development Programme, UTA, 19 months, 2011 – 2012.
- Responsible project director, Department of Social Research, UTA (funded by the Kone Foundation) 24 months, 2008 – 2010.
- Assistant Professor of Social Anthropology, Department of Social Research, UTA, total of 4 years and 7 months, 2003-2010.
- Researcher SOVAKO (The Finnish Doctoral Program in Social Sciences) 7 months, 2004.
- Researcher, Research Programme on Marginalisation, Inequality and Ethnic relations in Finland (funded by the Academy of Finland), total 32 months, 2002 – 2003.
Earlier work experience
- Lecturer in Sociology and Social Work, PIRAMK University of Applied Sciences, years 2000 – 2001.
- Director, Reception centre for asylum seekers, City of Tampere, years 1994 – 2000.
Funding awarded for my own research projects
- Rethinking diasporas, redefining nations. Representations of African diaspora formations in museums and exhibitions. Academy Research Fellow project (2015-2020) funded by the Academy of Finland.
- The African presence in Finland. An ethnographic action research project on the African Presence in Finland. Funded as an IASR senior research fellow project by the Institute for Advanced Social Research, UTA, 12 months, 2014-2016.
- Kotouttamista kulttuurityössä – afrikkalaiset Suomessa. Funding for six months in 2015 granted by the European Fund for the Integration of Third-country Nationals (EU Solid Funds) to the Finnish Labour Museum Werstas for the action phase of the African presence in Finland research project.
- Epistemological challenges in research on new minorities. The Fluid World Research Development Programme, UTA, 2 years, 2011-2012.
- Tietokirjojen Afrikka Suomessa. [Africa(ns) in Finnish non-fiction.] Funded by Kone Foundation, 36 months, 2008-2010.
- The 6th Afroeuropeans: Black Cultures and Identities in Europe conference (6.-8.7.2019, Tampere University). Funding from various resources, e.g.: The Federation of Finnish Learned Societies, The University of Tampere Foundation, Tampere Research Centre for Journalism, Media and Communication, The City of Tampere, the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI), Kone Foundation, Music Archive Finland, Speaking Volumes Live Literature Productions, Coastal Carolina University.
Funding awarded for international research programmes and networks of which I have been a responsible member
- Afroeurope@ns: Culturas e Identidades Negras en Europa / Afroeurope@ns. Research programme (University of León), funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education / Science and Innovation, 2008 – 2015.
- Nordic Network of African Childhood and Youth (Norwegian Centre for Child Research, Norwegian University of Sciences and Technology), funded by NordForsk, 2011 – 2014.
- Crisis and Identities in the Nordic Countries. Research network (University of Iceland), funded by NOS-HS, 2011 – 2012.
Merits in teaching and pedagogical competence
- I have taught both graduate and post-graduate students at Tampere University and planned and organized courses and seminars for doctoral students from other Finnish universities. I have given lectures at various universities in Finland and abroad (e.g. University of Utrecht, University of KwaZulu-Natal, University of London, University of Coimbra, University of Amsterdam, and University of California, Davis).
- I have trained and consulted professionals – teachers, early childhood educators, social workers, nurses, journalists, museum professionals, prosecutors and police officers, activists, and people working for NGO’s – in the fields of human rights, anti-racism, migration and refugees. I have also taught and organized trainings for asylum seekers, refugees and other (im)migrants. As a teacher, I I have favored collaborative and action research methods.
- I received my Teaching degree in adult education in 1999. My teaching skills have been rated as excellent twice, by the Faculty of Social Science at Tampere University in 2013 and by the Faculty of Humanitiess at the University of Helsinki in 2017. Many of my publications are included in the degree requirements in Finnish Universities.
Elected memberships and other academic merits and activities
- Board member of The Federation of Finnish Learned Societies, 2019 – 2021.
- Board member of Helinä Rautavaara Museum (from 2018).
- Deputy member of Finland appointed by the Minister of Foreign Affairs, the European Commission against Racism and Intolerance (ECRI) of the Council of Europe, 1.7.2014 – 1.7.2019.
- Pre-examiner for two doctoral dissertations, opponent in one doctoral dissertation defence. I have assessed research funding applications and applications for docentship.
- In 2019 I was rewarded the SOC Research Award by the Faculty of Social Sciences, Tampere University.
- Invited steering group member of several research projects as well as of EU-funded projects concerning human rights, the integration of migrants, and anti-racism.
- Active member of several Finnish scientific associations international academic associations (e.g., EASA, SIEF, ASWAD, ACS, ACHS).
- I have coordinated national research networks such as Rasmus-researchers (2002-2007) and Research Network on African Diaspora Studies (2014- 2018).
- Referee for a number of Finnish and International journals (e.g. European Journal of Cultural Studies; Social Identities; Ethnicities; Young, Nordic Journal of Youth Research; Nordic Journal of Migration Research, Open Cultural Studies) and academic publishers (e.g. Ashgate; Rowman & Littlefield International). Member of the editorial board of The Finnish Journal of Youth Studies (2004-2009) and the Finnish publishing house Vastapaino (2008-2011).
- I have given public lectures in events organized by authorities and NGO´s, and interviews on national TV and radio programmes, newspapers and magazines related to my research.